While my original pallet sofa was L-shaped, i had a problem after moving into my new flat: the previous form would not fit into my kitchen, where the DIY-Sofa should have its new place. Btw., regarding moving to a different flat: transportation etc. was totally ok – of course the three sofa elements were some of the more clumsier furniture pieces to be moved, but they’re stabnle, they’re quite easy to carry (for two persons) and as i moved into the third floor, I guess the possibility of transportation is proven. But to the restructuring stuff – as already told, the kitchen was somehow just a bit too small to have the sofa placed in its original form. While the three sofa elements were totally separated all the time, it was quite logical to rearrange them, from the L- to an U-Shape. One of the Pro’s of DIY furniture: its easy to rebuild or rearrange. So off to work.
I just used the corner piece of the couch and one of the side pieces as before. The second side piece was just placed “cornered” – i had to remove one of the footer parts and fix it on the mostly solitarily placed second side piece, another one at the second side piece i had to move from the side to the back. That was all.
I had some luck with width of the sofa pieces and the room i could use: the rearranged pallet sofa just fits in with walls, corners and the radiator. A small part of the newly created “second corner” of the Sofa-U is now without backrest, but while its just against the wall, i placed some cushions there and everything was fine.
Another possibility would have been to move the pallet couch backrest, what would have been quite easy, i just thought the actual solution is even easier and also totally OK. The only thing somehow more complicated would have been the loosening of the stapled holstering, but again, you can avoid that.
Initially I had some concern that the spontaneously bought, cheap orange blankets would not match, certainly not with the red LED lights under the sofa. But after getting some carpet onto the kitchen floor and the wall decorated and some black addon blankets were brought into the whole thing, somehow it all seemed quite OK to me. The cow patterned table is simply covered with decorative foil from the hardware store, and to have it in a fitting height for the sofa, I had to cut down the 15 or 18cm of the legs.
Since then i enjoy my kitchen. OK, since then, I’ve also installed a reading lamp, mounted on the wall, under which I will now take a seat for a few pages of Chandler 🙂
2 thoughts on “Pallet Sofa DIY rebuild in U-Form”